4 lbs. mussels, cleaned and de-bearded (NOTE: De-bearded means that any of the "strings' that sometimes hang from the mussel hinges have been pulled away from the shell.) 1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger 2 Tablespoons butter 1 clove garlic, minced 1 ½ Tablespoons curry powder 1 stalk of lemongrass, cut into 1 inch pieces 3 ½ Tablespoons lime juice 24 oz. coconut milk 3 Tablespoons cilantro
1. In a large sauce pan over moderate heat, sauté ginger and garlic in butter until the garlic is cooked through.
2. Add curry powder and continue cooking until the curry powder becomes fragrant.
3. Place lemongrass, lime juice, coconut milk, and mussels in the saucepan. Put the pan on high heat and bring to a boil.
4. Immediately reduce heat, cover and simmer until the mussels just open (4-5 minutes). Remove mussels from the pan and place in deep serving containers.
5. Taste cooking liquid for seasoning.
6. Pour the liquid over the mussels and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately with lots of French bread.