CLEVELAND - Let's Dish host Chris Koetke was surprised how spicy the food was during a recent trip to China. He uses his travels as inspiration for this spicy Szechuan Asparagus.
Recipe for Szechuan Asparagus
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
2 pounds asparagus
3 Tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 Tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 Tablespoon Hoisin sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 serrano chile, minced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon ginger, freshly grated and finely minced
2 whole green onions, minced
1 Tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
- Trim off tough ends of asparagus.
- Combine soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and Hoisin sauce in a small mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Boil asparagus in well-salted water until still a bit crunchy. Drain asparagus and plunge into ice. Remove when cold and drain well. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Heat a large sauté pan or wok over high flame and add vegetable and sesame oils. Add chile, garlic and ginger, and sauté until fragrant, about 45 seconds.
- Add asparagus and green onions and sauté until soft. Add sauce and cook until thickened slightly, about 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkles with toasted sesame seeds and serve hot.
You can find more recipes like this at the Live Well Network .