CLEVELAND - Vegetarian dishes are a great way to stay on budget. For those of you looking for a satisfying vegetarian option, look no further than Let's Dish host Chris Koetke's Poblano Peppers dish.
Recipe for Poblano Peppers
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 50 minutes
10 poblano chilies, rinsed
2 14 oz. cans pinto beans, well rinsed
¾ lb. grated pepper jack cheese
2 cups chunky salsa (your favorite brand and as hot as you wish)
1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
¼ cup cilantro
- Place the poblano chilies in a covered microwave proof dish. Microwave for about 6-8 minutes or until the chilies are softened. (Depending on the strength of the microwave, this may take longer.) Remove and let cool.
- Cut the ends off the chilies. Discard the seeds from the inside. Dice the chile tops and reserve.
- In a large bowl, combine diced chile tops, pinto beans, ½ pound of grated pepper jack cheese, and 1 cup of salsa.
- Pour tomato sauce and remaining 1 cup of salsa in the bottom of a 9 x 13 glass baking dish. Mix together.
- Fill the poblano chilies with the bean mixture and place them in the 9 x 13 baking dish so that they make 2 rows down the long side of the baking dish with the tips at the center of the dish and the open ends of the chilies prompted against the side.
- When all the chilies are filled, cover with aluminum foil and bake in a 350˚ F oven for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove foil and sprinkle with remaining ¼ pound of pepper jack cheese. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with lime wedges.
You can find more recipes like this at the Live Well Network .