CLEVELAND - Fall is upon us, and that means it's time for comfort food. Chris Koetke, host of the LiveWell Network show Let's Dish, shares his hearty recipe for a potato, corn and sausage chowder.
Recipe for Chowder
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Serves: 10-12 (about 3 ½ quarts)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
6 ½ oz. (about 1 ½ cups) spicy sausage (like Andouille), cut into half-moon slices
6 ½ oz. (about 1 ½ cups) smoked sausage (like Kielbasa), cut into half-moon slices
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onions
½ cup diced red pepper
16 oz. frozen corn (about 3 cups), thawed
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
1 cup diced cooked meat (like chicken, pork, or beef)
48 oz. chicken broth
1 teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon thyme leaf
1 ½ teaspoons rubbed sage
6 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
1. Heat oil over moderate heat in a large sauce pot or stock pot. Add sausages and sauté for 4-6 minutes until lightly browned.
2. Add carrots, celery, onion, red pepper, corn, and garlic to stock pot. Sauté for 12-15 minutes until soft.
3. Add chicken broth, cooked meat, salt, black pepper, thyme, and sage.
4. Simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Stir in mashed potatoes and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
6. Just before serving, stir in green onions and serve with sour cream and hot sauce on the side.
For more recipes like this one, visit the LiveWell Network.