CLEVELAND - Looking for a unique ending to your meal? Give Chris Koetke's pear dessert a try. It uses poached pears infused with a popular candy.
Recipe for Red Hot Poached Pears
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15-30 minutes
6 cups water
1 ¾ c. red hot candies
3 pears, peeled, halved and cored
1 t. lemon juice
2 T. spiced rum
Vanilla ice cream
Additional Red Hots candies
- In a stainless steel pot, combine water and red hots. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer. When the red hots are dissolved, place the pears in the simmering liquid.
- Cook until the pears are just tender. To test this, pierce the pears with a small knife. If the knife meets little resistance, the pears are done. (Cooking times depend on the ripeness of the fruit.)
- Remove the pan from the heat and let cool.
- Add the lemon juice and spiced rum.
- Place the pears, still in their juice in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Serve the pears on vanilla ice cream with a sprinkling of crushed red hots. Serve the poaching liquid around the ice cream.
You can find more recipes like this on at the Live Well Network.