CLEVELAND - Let's Dish host Chris Koetke travels around the world for inspiration for his dishes. He share his recipe for an exotic snack, fried plantains.
Recipe for Fried Plantains
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 16 patacóns
2 green plantains
Oil for deep fryer
1. Cut the plantains into 1-inch thick slices with their skin. Peel the skin off of each slice.
2. Fry the plantains in a deep-fryer set at 325° F. Cook until they are lightly browned (about 5 minutes).
3. Remove from the fryer and when still warm, place the slices between sheets of a plastic bag or between silicon sheets and smash the plantain as thinly as possible. You can do this with your hand or with a sturdy pot.
4. Heat the deep fryer oil to 375° F. Place the smashed plantains in the fryer and cook until browned.
5. Remove from the fryer and place on a plate lined with paper towels. Season the patacóns with salt and serve with salsa.
You can find more recipes like this on at the Live Well Network.