CLEVELAND - Do you love the look of wallpaper, but are intimidated by the process and price? A super easy alternative is to stencil the wall instead. Stenciling is not for the faint of heart, but the impact it makes and the money it saves you is well worth the extra work!
Step-by-step instructions for a Stencil Wall:
1. Invest in high-quality stencils and stencil brushes. Gather all of your supplies so that you don’t have to go running every time you need something. You’ll need the stencil, brushes, paint, paper towels and/or cardboard and spray adhesive.
2. Spray the back of your stencil with adhesive and start in one corner near the ceiling. Before taping in place, use a level to make sure that you’re aligned correctly. The placement of the first stencil is crucial to having an even, eye-pleasing stenciled wall. Press the stencil to the wall so that the edges are sealed. Use painters tape on the sides to help hold the stencil in place.
3. Dip the brush in the paint and off-load it in a circular motion on a piece of cardboard paper, paper plate or paper towels. Basically, get as much paint off the brush as you can so that it is almost dry. This will prevent bleeding.
4. Press the brush on the stencil and again, work in a circular motion to fill the openings in the stencil. Be sure to hit the edges well so that you have crisp lines.
5. Using the guides provided on the stencil, line up the stencil and repeat the process times one million. Ha! Just kidding, but be prepared. This will definitely work those forearm muscles!
We love the way stenciled walls look - the options for stencils are endless and you can customize it with colors to match your decor! To get more info on this project or to see more projects and details from this room, head over to the LiveWell Network.