CLEVELAND - The Theatrical Grill on “Short Vincent” for years was THE place to go for any Clevelanders of note.
According to the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History, the Theatrical was opened in 1937 on Vincent Avenue between East Sixth and East Ninth streets by Morris "Mushy" Wexler and his brother-in-law Mickey Miller.
Wildly popular for parts of three decades for its food, spirits and entertainment, it burned down in 1960.
Our video player shows 30 seconds of the newly reopened Theatrical. The date of this silent film is Sept. 29, 1961.
By the way, the street is called Short Vincent for its length or lack thereof and because it was an area of entertainment much as we use the term "The Flats."
The second picture in the photo tab is the Theatrical before the fire. That photo is from the Cleveland Press Collection at Cleveland State University.
Enjoy a look back at Morris Wexler’s Theatrical Grill.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Wilma Smith grew up in Garfield Heights, but was working in Richmond, Va. when she was picked by WEWS to host the new Afternoon Exchange in 1977.
A look at WEWS coverage in 2003 when Amanda Berry went missing and in 2004 when Gina DeJesus disappeared.
When protestors clashed with Ohio National Guardsmen on May 4, 1970, the aftermath left our nation shocked.