KANSAS CITY, Mo. - The company laying cable outside JJ’s Restaurant last week when an explosion leveled the business did not have an approved Kansas City permit for excavation, our sister station KSHB has learned via an open records request with the city.
Heartland Midwest LLC was laying fiber-optic cable for Time Warner Cable near the restaurant Tuesday night when somebody hit a gas line, sparking a leak in and around the restaurant.
One person died in the explosion and fire. Several others were injured. The exact cause of the explosion has not been confirmed by Kansas City fire investigators.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Local News Headlines
A Strongsville company and the owner's wife have pleaded guilty for their roles in the dumping of liquid cyanide into a storm drain, resulting in the death of almost 31,000 fish in an Ohio river last year.
Residents surrounding one Lorain park are fuming over what they say continues happening there: sex, drugs, drinking, fights and now arsons.