DENVER, N.C. - Authorities have recovered the bodies of two children who were trapped when dirt fell on them while playing in a hole at a home construction site near Charlotte.
Lincoln County Emergency Management officials say the bodies of a 6-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy were pulled Monday from a dirt pit in Denver.
Crews had been searching for the children since Sunday afternoon, when one of their fathers called 911 to report the collapse. Officials were on the scene within minutes but couldn't get to the children, who were trapped about 20 feet below a new home that was under construction.
Neighbors have said a man building the home had been digging with a backhoe earlier in the day.
Authorities said late Sunday they didn't expect to find the children alive.
Copyright AP Modified, Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Water Cooler News
Whatever happened to Barbie Dolls and bicycles? Drew Magary, writer for the website Deadspin, has shared his 7-year-old daughter's Christmas wish list, which he says is completely unreasonable.
Latest News Headlines
17-year-old Lisa Peng went to congress on Thursday urging them to hear her voice.