A mushroom called a tawny grisette (Amanita fulva, in German: Fuchsiger Scheidenstreifling ) grows in a forest near Schlachtensee Lake on August 15, 2011 in Berlin, Germany.
Photographer: (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
Copyright Getty Images
LOOMIS, Calif. - Authorities say a third person has died from consuming toxic mushrooms at a California senior care facility.
The Sacramento Bee reports the state Department of Social Services confirmed the death. According to the newspaper, the agency said the facility, Gold Age Villa in Placer County, called to report the third death on Monday.
The victim's name was not released.
Two other people died and three others were sickened when they ingested soup made from the toxic mushrooms. The caretaker who prepared the soup apparently picked the mushrooms from the home's backyard and did not know they were poisonous.
State food regulations do not prohibit the use of foraged ingredients in food prepared at care facilities, though they do prevent the use of home-canned foods and unpasteurized milk.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
A Chechen immigrant was shot to death by authorities in central Florida early Wednesday after he turned violent while being questioned about his ties to one of the Boston Marathon bombing suspects, officials said.
Arias sat down with NewsChannel5's sister station Tuesday night, just hours after jurors began deliberating, to speak out about the trial, her feelings about Travis Alexander's death and whether she wants to live or die.