CLEVELAND - Millions of college students are heading back to class for the spring semester, but a fraction of those are returning with a furry friend. A handful of schools, including one in Cleveland, offer dorms that are pet friendly.
Pets.com ranked the top 10 friendly schools:
1. Stephens College, Columbia, Mo.
2. Stetson University, Deland, Fla.
3. Washington and Jefferson College, Washington, Pa.
4. Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, Fla.
5. State University of New York at Canton, Canton, N.Y.
6. Lehigh University, Lehigh, Pa.
7. California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif.
8. Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
9. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Champaign, Ill.
10. Principia College, Elsah, Ill.
If you want to study in sunny Florida with your pet by your side, then check out Eckerd College in St. Petersburg. The school allows most dogs and cats along with some caged critters.
“I’m very less stressed with him here; It's great I have a little running buddy we go running every morning we hang out," said student Lauren Thompson. "He’s the perfect dorm dog. He doesn’t bark. He’s content biting on the toy.”
(Mobile users watch video here: http://5.wews.com/gIkFD )
The school has about 60 pets living on campus. The fury friends include dogs, cats, rabbits and even birds. School leaders said the pet program helps improve the student experience.
“We are noticing students are being able to behave better and study better, because they have a little animal, a piece of family with them at all time,” said Eckerd college spokesperson Tonya Womack.
Watch "The List" weeknights at 7 p.m.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Water Cooler News
An Oklahoma man found his damaged truck and was able to start its engine, which put a smile on his face in the aftermath of a devastating tornado.
Top Entertainment Headlines