AKRON, Ohio - A small flash fire in a chemical lab at the University of Akron sent five people to the hospital Saturday morning.
The fire happened under a hood in a lab at the College of Arts and Sciences Building on Buchtel Avenue at about 10:20 a.m.
A University of Akron spokesperson said the fire was extinguished immediately.
Five people were transported to Akron City Hospital and Akron General Hospital as a precaution, in case they inhaled any chemical fumes.
The Akron Fire Department evacuated the building and treated the area affected by the chemical fire.
There was no damage to the building and it has reopened for normal business.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Summit Co. Headlines
FirstEnergy is mailing energy conservation kits and you're already paying for the program on your bill.
Take a look at what companies spent in 2012 on CEOs' country club and business club memberships, private jet travel and home security.