A mushroom called a tawny grisette (Amanita fulva, in German: Fuchsiger Scheidenstreifling ) grows in a forest near Schlachtensee Lake on August 15, 2011 in Berlin, Germany.
Photographer: (Photo by Sean Gallup/Getty Images)
Copyright Getty Images
LORAIN, Ohio - Health officials in Lorain County are warning residents not to forage for wild mushrooms.
There has been an increase of people becoming sick from eating poisonous wild mushrooms, specifically Amanita mushrooms. The Lorain and Elyria health departments said this could be because of the wet spring and fall, leading to the growth of more wild mushrooms.
The health departments pointed to the recent case of Avon Lake residents being hospitalized after eating chicken cacciatore that contained Amanita, or “death cap”, mushrooms.
Consuming Amanitas can result in liver damage and even death. Symptoms of wild mushroom poisoning include vomiting, fever, low blood pressure, nausea and abdominal pain.
The Lorain and Elyria health departments said people should buy mushrooms at the grocery store, instead of foraging.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Lorain Co. Headlines
Video shows a Lorain playground that residents say has become a spot full of trouble being lit on fire.
Six people and a business have been indicted by the Lorain County Grand Jury for their role in a food stamp fraud operation, which contributed to $582,000 in fraud.