MENTOR, Ohio - The fire last week at the new Melt Bar and Grilled location in Mentor was caused by welding work.
The fire happened Thursday afternoon at the site located in the Points East Shopping Plaza on Mentor Avenue and Route 306.
Mentor fire Lt. Brian Bittner said the fire was the result of welding being done to the exhaust hood system, which ignited grease that was left from the previous restaurant. Flames spread to the roof. There was also smoke damage to the inside of the yet-to-open Melt.
Bittner said the blaze, which was quickly contained by the first crew on scene, caused between $75,000 and $100,000 in damage.
The general contractor on the project told the Mentor Fire Department that the blaze will push back the opening day by 10 days to Nov. 2.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Lorain Co. Headlines
The city-wide yard sale in North Ridgeville started Wednesday.
It was a packed house at North Ridgeville City Hall Monday night. Dozens turned out for a City Council meeting, calling for the humane officer responsible for shooting five kittens, to be terminated.