EASTLAKE, Ohio - A propane tank being used during a remodeling project caused the fire at an Eastlake house on Tuesday, fire officials said.
The blaze happened at about 2:41 p.m. on Traymore Boulevard, as heavy smoke poured out of the two-story house.
One man was forced by smoke and heat to jump from the second floor, the Eastlake Fire Department said. He was taken to Lake Health Hospital in Willoughby, then later moved to MetroHealth Medical Center.
Two contractors helped two other residents from the house, but suffered minor burns in the process. Fire officials said one firefighter was treated and released for heat exhaustion.
More than an hour after the blaze began, it was declared under control. According to the fire department, the fire was ruled accidental and caused by a propane tank hose, which the contractors were using for construction.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Lake Co. Headlines
Mentor firefighters and the humane society rescued a Pomeranian from a culvert pipe on Monday.
A man from Mentor won a $10,000 gift card from Apple for downloading the 50 billionth app.