ASHTABULA, Ohio - A methamphetamine lab started a deadly fire at an Ashtabula nursing home Sunday night, officials say.
The fire happened at the Parkhaven Nursing Home on Park Avenue at about 8:40 p.m. because of a meth lab in room 18, the Ashtabula Fire Department said.
Firefighters said there was heavy smoke, but little fire coming from a room on the second floor of the building. Parts
“Firefighters and the facility’s staff worked under very difficult circumstances to insure the safety of the residents and bring a chaotic situation under control very quickly” said Ashtabula Fire Chief Ron Pristera. The fire crews remained at the scene until just before 2 a.m. Monday.
Five people were taken from the nursing home by ambulance to Ashtabula County Medical Center, according to the fire department. Two people were treated and released at the scene.
One person who was later taken to the MetroHealth Medical Center burn unit died as a result of the fire Monday morning.
The criminal investigation into the fire is ongoing.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ashtabula Co. Headlines
The Ohio Attorney General has taken over the prosecution of Carla Rae Hague, who's been charged with poisoning her husband, an Ashtabula County judge.
A food item that will make you lose your appetite? A local restaurant to serve up a burger based on the Browns' embattled quarterback.