ASHTABULA, Ohio - The Ashtabula nursing home where a methamphetamine lab caused a fatal fire earlier this month is in serious hot water.
The fire happened at the Park Haven Home on Park Avenue on March 4 at about 8:40 p.m. The Ashtabula Fire Department said a meth lab in one of the rooms started the blaze that sent several people to the hospital. Shaun Warrens, 31, died at MetroHealth Medical Center as a result of the fire. He was not a patient or employee at the home.
On Tuesday, the Ohio Department of Health said they are in the process of revoking Park Haven’s license. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services also proposed terminating their Medicaid provider agreement. The nursing home has the right to ask for a hearing to appeal both of those decisions.
According to reports from the Department of Health and Human Services, officials found several safety violations at the nursing home. Residents are living in the physical therapy room; there are holes and pealing paints in the dinning room ceiling and rooms do not have call lights to communicate with the nursing station, the report said.
“Review of the facility’s disaster preparedness plan revealed no written transfer plan for residents requiring evacuation of the nursing home during a disaster,” said the Department of Health and Human Services report said.
Park Haven had 11 fire safety violations in 2010 and 2011. The home is only rated one out of five stars by a federal rating system that factors health inspections and quality measures.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Ashtabula Co. Headlines
Former nurse Michele Marshall has tended to animals in Conneaut for more than 12 years, including a goat who needs a wheelchair to get around.
The search for a man who disappeared after going into the water a state park in Ashtabula County has turned into a recovery operation.