A NewsChannel5 investigation has gotten the attention of both fire investigators and one of the nation's largest appliance makers.
Thursday night at 11, Investigator Ron Regan will reveal how one northeast Ohio woman came home to find her kitchen on fire.
According to fire investigators, it began in a General Electric microwave.
The microwave was not turned on and was not cooking a thing.
"It was just black all along around where the microwave was; it was burnt," the victim said.
The exclusive 5 On Your Side investigation found it's not the first time microwave ovens have mysteriously caught fire.
We checked fire reports and government records and interviewed victims, and we found similar complaints and the charred remains of microwave ovens that were left behind.
The microwaves mentioned in the report are GE over-the-range microwaves.
GE has not provided model or serial numbers, and it will not be known how widespread the problem is until consumers contact both General Electric and the Consumer Product Safety Commission if they've experienced any type of malfunction.
Be sure to watch NewsChannel5 at 11 as Regan digs deeper into the story.
More Information:Consumer Product Safety Commission General Electric
Copyright 2009 by NewsNet5. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or