We're now in summer when we will be swiping our credit and debit cards on vacation, at theme parks and many other places we don't normally visit.
So you might want to know about some places that may not take your credit card, no matter what all those ads have said over the years.
Not Really "Everywhere"
Remember when Visa used to advertise "It's everywhere you want to be"? Turns out that's not always the case.
A new report from Bankrate.com lists several places your credit card may be denied.
1. At the casino. Most credit cards will not allow you to buy chips. You need a cash advance from the ATM.
2. Lottery tickets. American Express and Discover specifically prohibit it. It may be possible on a Visa or MasterCard.
3. Online porn. Most cards prohibit it, though savvy card holders can find ways around it. We are not going to show you how, however.
Doesn't That Stink?
And from the "doesn't that stink" file, some places you might want to use your credit card, but you will probably be turned down by the business itself.
You can't blame the card company in these cases. That leads us to the fourth, fifth and sixth places you will have trouble using a credit card.
4. On a new car. Most dealers don't want to pay the 1 percent or 2 percent card fee.
5. College tuition. Ditto on the high card fee that schools do not want to pay.
6. Your mortgage: Most lenders want the money direct from your bank account. They don't want to risk a card default.
If you were trying to get frequent flier miles, you'll say doesn't that stink. Just think of all the free trips you could earn paying off your house.
Remember, anytime you swipe a credit card, the merchant takes on some risk, and has to pay a fee. You can see why some might say no.
As always, don't waste your money.
Don't Waste Your Money is a registered trademark of the EW Scripps Co.
"Like" John Matarese on Facebook
Follow John on Twitter ( @DWYM )
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Don't Waste Your Money
What many stores don't want you to know is that prices are often cheaper even closer to Christmas.
John Matarese reports on some things you may not know about Walmart's prepaid wireless plan.
If you're looking for a unique hostess or holiday gift idea that doesn't cost a fortune, consider mixing up a batch of bubble bath. "Mirror Mirror" host Rebecca Spera shows us how 5 ingredients can make anyone a bathing beauty.