By the time you notice a rodent, cockroach or other insect crawling through your home, it may already be too late. The sign of a single pest can indicate a much larger problem.
Angie’s List Tips: Home Pest Prevention
· Seal any cracks in walls or window and door casings and repair screens. Address leaks around sinks or plumbing. Moisture draws insects and rodents.
· Keep tree branches trimmed and avoid placing mulch close to the home foundation. Not doing so invites termites (who love moisture) and other insects to seek cracks and crevices.
· Clean gutters and downspouts. Don’t neglect outdoor fountains. Stagnant water and moist clogs in guttering draws insects.
· Avoid piled up trash and recycle bins. These are smorgasbords for mice, ants and spiders.
· Don’t stack wood near the house. Mice and spiders will ride into the house with the kindling.
· Avoid leaving pet food unattended outside, as it will draw mice and raccoons, ants and other insects.
· Don’t leave pet food unattended inside the house, either. Store dog food in a sealed plastic container.
· Vacuum and sweep floors and wipe kitchen counters frequently. When mice or ants can’t find anything to feast on, they often don’t stick around.
It’s also important to remember that weather can influence the behavior of certain pests. Rodents are more likely to enter the home in the winter, while bugs and insects will tend to visit during the warmer months.
Even though there are precautions you can take to help repel pests, it may be necessary to have a professional check your home, especially if you live in a wooded area or by water. A qualified exterminator can help prevent pests from entering your home by spraying the inside of your home and the outside perimeter on a regular basis.
Angie’s List Tips: Hiring an pest control company
Copyright 2013 Angie's List. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
In this Angie’s List report, why it pays to be proactive when choosing your health plan.
In this Angie's List report, how to restore your home properly after fire or water damage.