Our neighbors to the south have given us some classic Mexican dishes that are well known. Here's a new one from Chris Koetke of Let's Dish that's a hot mess!
Recipe for Torta Ahogadas:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
1-1 ¼ lb. pork tenderloin trimmed of all silver skin
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
¼ cup orange juice
16 oz. low-sodium tomato juice
2 finely minced garlic cloves
2 pinches ground cloves
1 ½ Tablespoon Cholula hot sauce
1 large red onion, very thinly sliced
¼ cup lime juice (about 3 limes)
¼ teaspoon salt
Marinated jalapeno chile slices
4 mini French baguettes or Italian bread*
1 cup warmed low-fat refried beans
1. Roast pork tenderloin in a 350 F oven for 40-45 minutes or until it registers 160˚ F on an instant read thermometer. Remove from oven and let cool. This can be prepared ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator until needed.
2. In a saucepan, combine tomato juice, garlic, cloves, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil and keep warm.
3. Combine red onions, lime juice and salt. This is best prepared 30 minutes-4 hours ahead of time.
4. Thinly slice pork tenderloin. Place in a sauté pan along with ¼ teaspoon black pepper and orange juice. Warm over low heat just until the meat is warm. Do not let the meat boil as this will toughen it.
5. Split the bread. Spread the inside of the bread with refried beans. Top with pork. Place top on the sandwich. Place the sandwich in a bowl and pour the hot tomato sauce on top of it. Serve with pickled jalapenos and marinated red onions on the side.
This messy street food is fun to eat and super delicious! Try it out and see for yourself! You can get more recipes like this at our partner Live Well Network’s website at www.livewellnetwork.com
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
As you prepare for your Memorial Day cookout, we put ground meat to the test to see if the labels are accurate.
Chris Koetke, host of the Live Well Network show Let's Dish, shares a great idea for you child's next birthday party... a vibrant and unpredictable colored cake that even the adults will love.