Prep time: 120 minutes (plus 1 day marinating time)
Cook time: 0
1 head green cabbage
4 granny smith apples, grated or cut into a julienne (match-stick size)
½ cup minced celery
2/3 cup minced onion
1 cup apple cider or water
2 cups cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
2 Tablespoons dry mustard
3 jalapeño chilies, minced
1. Quarter cabbage and remove core. Cut quarters into fine slices or shred on a grater.
2. Mix cabbage with apples, celery and onion.
3. In a small saucepan, combine water or cider, sugar, celery seed, dry mustard, and chilies. Bring to a boil over moderate heat.
4. Pour hot liquid on cabbage mixture.
5. Over the next 2-3 hours stir the cabbage while it sits at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for 1 day.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
As you prepare for your Memorial Day cookout, we put ground meat to the test to see if the labels are accurate.
Chris Koetke, host of the Live Well Network show Let's Dish, shares a great idea for you child's next birthday party... a vibrant and unpredictable colored cake that even the adults will love.
Leaders of an Oklahoma megachurch, with multiple campuses in the Oklahoma City area, say dozens of families who are members have lost their homes to Monday's massive tornado.