CLEVELAND - This St. Patrick's day, along with the corned beef, try making this recipe for Colcannon. The Live Well host of Let's Dish Chris Koetke shares his recipe for this traditional Irish side dish.
Recipe for Colcannon
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
1 small head green cabbage (about 1 pound)
2 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into large dice
6 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 small yellow onion, diced
3/4 cup milk
2 Tablespoons minced green onions
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Quarter the cabbage and remove the core. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
2. Place potatoes and cabbage in a large pot and cover with 1-inch of cold water.
3. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Drain. Place potatoes and cabbage in a bowl and cover to keep warm.
5. In the same pot, melt butter over medium heat, add onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until translucent. Add milk.
6. When the milk is hot, add the cooked cabbage, potatoes, green onions, salt, and pepper.
7. Using a potato masher, mash the mixture over low heat. When coarsely mashed, spoon
onto a serving platter and serve. If the colcannon is too thick, add more milk.
You can find more recipes like this one at Live Well Network.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
With the holiday season and cold weather here, Chris Koetke, host of Let's Dish, share his yummy Hot Cocoa recipe that's sure to warm everyone right up.
A food item that will make you lose your appetite? A local restaurant to serve up a burger based on the Browns' embattled quarterback.