MIAMI, Fla. - Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, otherwise known as Dr. Beach, has released his top 10 beaches in the United States. Florida has three on the list.
Dr Beach's report is based on 50 criteria each year that includes sand softness, rip currents, pollution, lifeguards and safety record.
Leatherman, a professor at Florida International University in Miami, evaluates 650 beaches to reach his top 10. Here's the full list for 2013:
1.Main Beach, East Hampton, New York
2.Kahanamoku Beach, Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii
3. St. George Island State Park, Florida
4. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
5. Waimanalo Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii
6. Barefoot Beach Preserve County Park, Bonita Springs, Florida
7. Cape Florida State Park, Key Biscayne, Florida
8. Cape Hatteras, Outer Banks, North Carolina
9. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Get weekly updates on select events and activities happening in northern Ohio national, state and county parks.
The Vatican Library and Oxford University's Bodleian Library have put the first of 1.5 million pages of ancient manuscripts online.